Michael Ciarello at the food cart + Veggie Caponata sandwiches for dinner

Johanna, Machina and I went to the Steaks & Frites cart for burgers on Wednesday for lunch.  The burger was nothing to blog about, but standing online waiting for his burger was Food Network Star Michael Ciarello.  And he is just as good looking in person!  I tried not to stare, but I'm not sure I was successful.  Man, I love New York!

Another reason to love New York....Amy's Bread!  To the dismay of my WW journal, Amy's bread is ON MY BLOCK in Hell's Kitchen and offers a wide selection of fresh baked breads and pastries every day.  Luckily, the line is always out the door and down the block and I'm not willing to wait in line unless I really need something. Okay, need is a strong word, but I was making Veggie Caponata sandwiches and wanted some good sour dough bread on which to serve them, so to Amy's I went.  In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I also got a loaf of Rosemary Bread for pre-dinner snacking with olive oil.  LOL What can I say?

My next stop was the cheese shop across the street for some fresh mozzarella.  And again in the interest of full disclosure, the cheese shop was followed by a visit to the wine store next door.  But I digress.....

So back at home, I got to work on the Caponata.  Here's the recipe:

1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with their juice
2 TBSP capers, drained
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large skillet.  Add chopped onion and saute until tender, about 3 minutes.  Add the eggplant and cook another 5 minutes.  Add the bell pepper and cook another 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and oregano and cook for 20 minutes until the mixture has thickened and the veggies are tender.  Add wine, capers, salt and pepper.  Serve on sourdough bread with fresh mozzarella cheese.

Next time I make this, I'm going to add olives.  I would have added them this time, but I was out :-(  I think this would also make a good pasta sauce or side dish to a meat or lamb dish.  Some feta cheese sprinkled in would be good too!  Another idea I had for next time is to make extra to use in a breakfast frittata sometime.

The whole big pan of it is only 12 WWPP so it's a great points deal.  I would say it made about 6 cups.  I made 4 sandwiches plus a big scoop of caponata on the side of each sandwich.

Tomorrow night: Turkey Bolognese!

Comments

Popular Posts