Southern Fried Squash - Not as fattening as it sounds, so read on!

This is one of my all-time favorite recipes passed down from Granny. Serve this with the meatloaf in my last post and mashed potatoes.  Southern heaven!

Southern Fried Squash

3 lb. yellow squash, sliced in this rounds, about 1/8 inch thick
1/4 cup corn meal
2 TBSP flour
2 TBSP vegetable oil
salt and pepper

Put cornmeal and flour in a large ziploc bag or a big bowl.  Add the sliced squash and toss to coat. 

Heat oil in skillet, preferably cast iron, but non-stick works fine too.  Pour the squash mixture into the skillet.  Don't worry about the extra corn meal, it will crisp up and stick to the squash as it cooks.  Cook over medium heat tossing occasionally until the squash is soft.  About 30 minutes.

Comments

  1. Hey woman...I am thinking of starting a new feature on my food blog. It will basically involve a group of food bloggers cooking the same traditional dish with their own recipes. We will link together on a regular but undetermined basis to share our different approaches to the same dish. Want to join me? Send me an email - savannahmcqueen@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts