"Cheesy" Macaroni

Ok, if you're looking for something that tastes exactly like Mac 'n' Cheese without using cheese, I don't think it exists.  However, if you're looking for a healthier, lower points, non-dairy macaroni dish that has the texture and mouth feel of mac 'n' cheese and is super yummy, try this!  It's fast to whip up, and I had all the ingredients in my pantry!  I'll bet you only have to purchase 1 or 2 items if you cook on a regular basis.

I started with a recipe I found here Easy Macaroni and Cheeze and added to suit my own tastes.  By the way, this website is awesome for vegan recipes!

1 pound pasta, cooked according to directions

For the sauce
1 1/4 cup water
1 cup Silk original milk
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
3 TBSP cornstarch
2 TBSP lemon juice
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 TBSP Tahini
1 tsp miso
2 TBSP Vegan Worchestershire sauce
black pepper to taste

Put the sauce ingredients in the blender and give it a whiz.  Drain the cooked pasta, return it to the pot and pour in the sauce.  Heat for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens. 

Seriously, that's it.  It takes 15 minutes or less and it is Yummo!  It makes 6 cups.  The whole dish is 57 WWPP.

Comments

Popular Posts